[TriLUG] Help a Newbie?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 2 14:12:59 EDT 2002

Hi Nick,

Although it isn't clear from your message, I'm assuming you're trying to
install Redhat 7.3 on the same laptop system over a SuSE installation.
Your CD-ROM drive is refusing to boot from the Redhat CD.

There's no software fix I know of to correct a CD boot failure.  Are you
using a Redhat distribution CD (from a shrink-wrapped box) or one that
you or someone else made?  It's not unusual to have problems reading a
homemade CD from time to time.  Even if it can be booted in another
system (did you check this?) CD-ROM drives can be sensitive to the type
of media used, or if it was burned at too fast a speed for the media.

If you have a Windows machine handy, you can see it that will boot the
Redhat CD.

Good luck.

                   Scott C.