[TriLUG] Question: RH7.2 kernel update problem via Red Hat Net/up2date?

William W. Ward wwward at pobox.com
Sun Aug 4 00:38:34 EDT 2002

Hello, another tricky issue with my RH7.2 learning experience.

Background - I have two computers in this Linux business.  First is a
P2/266 Micron GoBook2 laptop, which is working VERY well with 96MB of
ram.  Red Hat 7.2 is fully updated according to Red Hat Network.  The
machine is very nice.

The other computer is an esoteric old server from the early 1990's.  HP
Netserver LM 4d/66.  This beast is sized much like a dorm fridge, with 8
SCSI 5.25" fixed drive bays, 80MB of RAM, a 486/66 CPU and a few other
bells and whistles.  This machine is almost completely up to date
according to Red Hat Network, running the same 7.2 distribution.

I paid for a second subscription to RHN because I'm lazy and enjoy
having someone prepack the updates and make it simple to keep one's
machine patched.  It works very well, but here is my confusion:

The HP refuses to update the kernel.  I'm aiming to go to 2.4.9-34.i386.
  Since the kernel updates are on a skip list, rhn_check won't grab the
file.  When I run up2date, it informs me that all the packages are fine.

How can I force up2date to update the kernel?  Please note that up2date
does NOT run in X because I don't have X loaded on the 486.

I'd like to RTFM, but I can't find the FM.

Thanks,
Bill