[TriLUG] Re: beofre I go an rewrite my MBR, I got a question.

James Manning jmm at sublogic.com
Fri Aug 2 23:48:41 EDT 2002

[karl thiele]
> good news is that I now have own machine just for linux. bad news is
> that my old machine (now everyone in the family uses it) I need to
> remove my old linux installation, they need more space. it is a dual
> boot using lilo. think I have rh 7.2 (I run 7.3 else where). Is it a
> safe operation just to boot into win98 and run FDISK /MBR and presto no
> more boot into linux it goes straight to win98 I have installed. This a
> first, reclaimming a machine from dual boot to just MS box, I am always
> removing or just installing linux. Well some folks just have to have MS.

one of the reasons I like lilo in these situations.  you can just boot
the linux one last time, do a lilo.conf that immediately boots the
windows partition, then "lilo" that (boot floppy to get back to linux
later if needed).  I've left multiplate machines where lilo was in the
mbr but did nothing more than boot through to windows, and it worked fine.
--
James Manning <http://www.sublogic.com/james/>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4