[TriLUG] Imap software preferences

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Aug 5 00:46:50 EDT 2002

Tanner Lovelace [lovelace at wayfarer.org] wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Now that we have the ldap/kerberos server up and running (it will
> be going into the rack tomorrow), it's time to turn to getting
> the imap server up and running.  Cyrus imap was previously
> suggested but after looking at it and setting it up once, I'm
> not convinced it's the best idea.  If I go with one of the standard
> imap servers, we could nfs mount home directories (on an internal
> network so it's not going over the public network) and allow
> everyone to use procmail to process their e-mail.  What I'd like,
> however, is people's opinions on the various imap servers.  I've
> run the washington imap server on my own server forever and am
> very familiar with it.  I've also heard, though, many people
> disparage it.  I know Courier imap uses the maildir format, but
> that's about it.  Does anyone have any preference for imap server?
> Speak now and forever hold your peace. :-)

Courier.  Courier, Courier, Courier.  Did I mention, Courier?  It's
stable, likely more secure than UW (which has a terrible security
history), and I -like- maildir.  It supports SSL natively, is nicer on
resources then UW, and has connection limiting.

The fact that it's maildir isn't an issue, because it speaks IMAP to the
clients.  All a client has to do is implement IMAP and it can get to the
maildir formatted messages.

I've spoken, does that mean I don't have to hold my peace?

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost