[TriLUG] Question: RH7.2 kernel update problem via Red HatNet/up2date?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 09:14:50 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 14:24, William W. Ward wrote:
> This is true, it does install the new kernel and give you a backup to work
> from if it FUBARs.  However, it failed to fail in this case.
>
> Scoping out Usenet courtesy Google's groups archive, and speaking briefly
> with Tanner about the failure, it appears that the modules aren't loading up
> under the new kernel.  As best I can tell, modules are distributed with the
> kernel RPM, but in this circumstance, they're not being loaded at boot.
> Earlier Kevin mentioned something about using mkinitrd, which I'll focus on
> again now, but it didn't solve the problem in the first case, before I
> reloaded the OS from scratch.
>
> This is of interest to me to solve, as I have TWO MORE of these same
> machines, identical to the unit I'm working on here.  I'd like to be able to
> load and update RH on them all. What I figure out on this box will take care
> of the others.

Couple of things to check:

1. Make sure you're specifying modules in /etc/modules.conf. This is
important, because the kernel %post install scripting is calling
mkinitrd, which looks in /etc/modules.conf to see if it needs to
generate an initrd image or not.

2. If your /etc/modules.conf is correct, see if an
initrd-$KERNELVERSION.img exists in /boot. Check to see if its specified
in the kernel image section for /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/grub.conf.

The Red Hat kernel RPMs definitely include modules, and I've done kernel
'upgrades' via RHN on 7.2 with no issue for quite some time now.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot