[TriLUG] Question: RH7.2 kernel update problem via RedHatNet/up2date?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 10:43:23 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 10:33, William W. Ward wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Checked both issues.  I manually ran (as a safety) mkinitrd -f ....  with
> the new kernel version set, and it does exist in /boot.  Other than the SCSI
> card and one other item I don't recall which are already in modules.conf, I
> added my ISA NIC for eth0.  All of these items come from the default install
> of RH7.2, I've added nothing to the machine.
>
> Based on my observations, the problem must be related to something crashing
> or exiting abnormally in the process of module loads.  It doesn't seem to be
> able to see the disk, so i'd say the SCSI module is bad in some way.

Very odd. I'd be interested in seeing the output.

> Question - is there a kernel startup parameter I can pass that will echo the
> screen to a serial port or other device (FDD?) that I could use to capture
> the entire boot sequence so I can parse through it for errors?  It scrolls
> too quickly and cannot be back-scrolled once the kernel panic occurs, and no
> entries are written to anything in /var/log so I can't go back there for it.

All of my serial booting experience is with sparcs... so I'm not sure if
it applies to x86 based machines. On the sparcs, its usually:
console="ttyS0,9600n8" or some derivant thereof. (I usually cheat, and
modify inittab, since sparcs can set to dump to console via openprom)

It might also be a bug in the rhn_register/up2date shipped with RHL 7.2.
Would be interesting to see if it occurs with only those two items (and
deps) updated by hand first.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot