[TriLUG] Re: Question: RH7.2 kernel update problem via Red Hat Net/up2date?

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Mon Aug 5 10:47:31 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 09:56, James Manning wrote:
> Jeremy already mentioned that up2date will install updated kernels
> alongside existing ones and then use grubby for changing the default
> pointed to by grub.conf, and that's a very important special case of
> the up2date client.  Very nice to have, and the only reason I still
> advise people to use up2date for kernel updates.

Hrm. I'll have to check that, as I recall at least one version of
up2date prior to Limbo (the current Red Hat Beta - available on
mirrors.trilug.org !!) allowing me to upgrade a kernel, much as one
would with rpm -Uvh, and having a bad time of it.

So, my reflex is to now "up2date -i" when doing a kernel as a CYA :)

> In the case where you just want to fetch the (correct arch/smp)
> updated rpm's, you don't have to do it via ftp manually, but can
> instead use "up2date -d" (or --download, or set the config option) to

d'oh! I forgot completely about up2date -d - my apologies.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --