[TriLUG] Problem with Win2k Pro, RH7.3 dual boot

robert at woozy.com robert at woozy.com
Tue Aug 6 12:29:08 EDT 2002

Hi,

I started installing RH 7.3 on my old Win2k box last night. The install
seemed to go through ok. I selected Grub as the bootloader and followed
the directions for installing it with WinNT selecting the checkbox to
have Grub installed to the first partition of the Linux disk.

When I rebooted the computer there was no Linux bootloader, just the
regular Win2k boot and then startup. Win2k had been installed on this
computer for a while and I added a new hard drive to install Linux on. I
searched through the archives and How-tos but these seem aimed at those
who can boot into Linux and not Windows or those who are doing a fresh
install of both OSs. I'm just keeping Win2k around for the couple years
worth of emails I have on there that I'd rather not lose at this point
otherwise I'd just wipe everything and install Linux by itself.

Am I missing something simple here? To make things slightly more
complicated the floppy drive in that computer is fried so i can't boot
from a floppy unless I want to swap out that drive.

Thanks,

Robert