[TriLUG] upgrade or reinstall?

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Tue Aug 6 22:50:45 EDT 2002

So I have a RH 7.1 box at home that I would like to have running RH 7.3
because of various upgraded packages, stability, etc.  In the past when
I've moved to a new version of a distro, I've always done a complete
reinstall (sadly, often coinciding with a hard drive failure and lack of
backups).

Anybody have thoughts or opinions on upgrading versus reinstalling to
get from RH 7.to RH 7.3?  Are there pitfalls of upgrading in place that
I should be aware of?  Should I expect it to just work flawlessly?

I can go either route, but with all the config tweaking I've done on
this box, if I can upgrade and not have to go through all that again,
that'd be ideal.  (I have both backups and notes on the config tweaks so
if I do have to reinstall, it's not THAT big a deal.)

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org