[TriLUG] NC*SA Meeting - Monday, August 12th - GPG Encryption (and keysigning!)

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Thu Aug 8 09:47:15 EDT 2002

If you missed Tanner's GPG talk at TriLUG, here's your chance to make it
up - and even if you did see this the first time around, feel free to come
just for the keysigning (and pizza).

==============================

For those of us who already have PGP keys, we will be holding a
keysigning after the meeting!  To participate, bring the following:

Positive picture ID
Your key ID, key type, HEX fingerprint, and key size
A pen, pencil, or other writing implement
Scrap paper

(It helps to print out copies of your key information to hand out, in the
format shown at http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html#ss2.4 )

If this meeting will be your first introduction to encryption, don't
worry - we plan to hold a follow-up keysigning in the fall for you, too!

==============================

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators
organization (NC*SA) is upcoming.  Details about the meeting and
directions are provided in this note.  We hope to see you there!

                    NC*SA General Meeting
             6:00 pm, Monday, August 12th, 2002
                     Dreyfus Laboratory
                 Research Triangle Institute
                  Research Triangle Park, NC
                     (directions below)

	Topic:  GPG Encryption
	Speaker: Tanner Lovelace

==============================

Abstract:
In today's world, secure, reliable communication is a must.  E-mail,
however, is an inherently insecure medium.  How do you know someone
isn't reading your e-mail?  Even worse, how do you verify that you're
talking to the person you think you are?  Encryption, such as that
offered by Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) can be used as a way of adding
more security to this process.  Tanner will talk about the GNU project's
implementation of the OpenPGP standard -- GNU Privacy Guard, about
encryption in general, and how to use GPG to secure communication.
CTC/TCT Rapelcgvba - Qba'g zvff vg.

Bio:
Tanner Lovelace has been working with the internet for almost 10 years.
During that time, he's worked as a programmer and system administrator
on a variety of different projects.  He currently works as a network
programmer/system administrator for Oculan Corporation in Raleigh, NC.

==============================

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing
food and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please
contact the Steering Committee at:

  ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

    ncsa-discussion .. general discussion
    ncsa-announce .... meeting announcements
    ncsa-jobs ........ employment opportunities
    ncsa-steer ....... steering committee

These are currently run on a Mailman list manager at
ncsysadmin.org - please see this page on our web site
for more information about these lists:
http://www.ncsysadmin.org/lists.html

(Please note, if you are a member of sage-members at usenix.org, you
will also get a copy of these announcements.  We cannot unsubscribe
you from that list.)

==============================

Directions to Research Triangle Institute:

Directions to Research Triangle Institute
See also a map to the meeting place.

>From I-40 west of RTP (e.g. Chapel Hill):

Get onto I-40 heading east. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham Freeway -
North (towards Durham). Stay in right lane. Shift right as soon as
possible after merging with traffic coming off I-40 westbound.

Exit to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit, turn
to the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you are going
the wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift
immediately to the right lane. Take the second right onto East Institute
Drive. Take the second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus
Laboratory will be the first building on your right. Use the parking lot
in front of the Lab and enter at the main entrance.

>From I-40 east of RTP (e.g. Raleigh):

Get onto I-40 heading west. Follow I-40 to the NC-147 - Durham Freeway -
North (towards Durham). Shift to rightmost lane as soon as possible Exit
to the right at the next exit (Cornwallis Road). At top of exit, turn to
the left. (If you turn right and cross over the bridge, you are going the
wrong direction.) After turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to
the right lane. Take the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the
second right off of East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the
first building on your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and
enter at the main entrance.

>From north of RTP (e.g. Durham):

Get onto NC-147 - Durham Freeway - south. Exit at the Cornwallis Road
exit. At the top of the exit, turn left to cross over the bridge. After
turning left onto Cornwallis, shift immediately to the right lane. Take
the second right onto East Institute Drive. Take the second right off of
East Institute Drive. Dreyfus Laboratory will be the first building on
your right. Use the parking lot in front of the Lab and enter at the main
entrance.

A map of RTI is available at http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif

Enter through the glass doors at the front; all of the doors except one
will be locked, but one will be open for our access.  Walk through the
lobby, go straight out the glass doors, across the patio, and straight
into Dreyfus Auditorium.

--
Lisa Lorenzin
lorenzin at 1000plus.com