[TriLUG] Balancing outbound internet connections

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 8 23:24:50 EDT 2002

Nathan Conrad wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am soon to UNC-C for college. My dorm room has two RoadRunner cable
 > connections. I just spoke with my roommate and he will not bring his
 > own machine to campus. Thus, I will have two RR connections at my
 > disposal.

I attend UNCC, and that is not quite how it works... The cable modem is
one per dorm room with multiple connections branched off at 10baseT. The
cable modem can support four ip address per room. If you need more, you
need to have a masq firewall. Just some insight from someone using way
more than four ips ;-)

~Steven Blanchard