[TriLUG] Let Sony know how you feel about DRM

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Fri Aug 9 11:12:51 EDT 2002

Sony Corp. issued a press release today trumpeting their OpenMG X
"Digital Rights Management" technology.  Some highlights include:

  "OpenMG X" consists of the following software modules;
1. An encoding module which adds digital rights management information,
such as the number of times content was copied or played, to music/movie
content and converts them into code at the distributors' end.
2. A server module which distributes digital rights management
information on content to the users' end.
3. Client module for developing application software compatible with
"OpenMG X" Sony has put the client module (#3) into practice and created
"MAGIQLIP", the network music player for PC.

So not only do they get to control what you do with the media that you
legally obtain, they get to find out all of your viewing habits!  Joy!

I've already been to
https://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/Support/Feedback/Form/other.html and
registered my intent to avoid Sony products, such as the PS2 I was
thinking about getting for my birthday.  If any other TriLUG'ers would
like to let Sony know how you feel about DRM, that looks like a good
place to go.

--Wade

REF: http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/09/1230221
http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/News/Press/200208/02-035E/