[TriLUG] Frustrated MS users turn to Linux, Apple

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Fri Aug 9 14:35:46 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-09 at 11:45, H. Wade Minter wrote:
> >From InfoWorld, via MacSlash.com
>
> http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/02/08/07/020807hndidio.xml?0808thwebtech_ar

Interesting note:  Sunbelt Software, one of the organizations that
conducted the survey, is a longtime Windows NT/2000 shop.  They make
their bread off of fixing holes in MS products (quota management, disk
defragmentation, etc).  If anything, these guys have a vested interest
in making Windows look like a *good* platform.

The frustration is real.  My primary client right now is converting back
end services entirely to Linux & OpenBSD.  I'm working this week on
services that will replace the Windows NT PDC, and allow us to remove
the last two Windows servers from the shop (a MAJOR step in reducing
TCO, looking at just the CAL's alone!)

The desktop side is another matter.  The major frustration is in the
proprietary apps that must run on Windows, and WINE just isn't there
yet.  We've got a nice fast terminal server but there are some in-house
apps that business partners use that only do Windows.

Luckily, many of the other in-house apps run as web applications which
helps tremendously to migrate user desktops to alternative platforms.

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-
+[Upchuckee Nation]+

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is
 dressed in overalls and looks like work."
	-Thomas A. Edison