[TriLUG] Prime number discovery?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 10:45:36 EDT 2002

I heard "through the grapevine" about a new discovery related to prime
numbers made by Indian mathematicians.  If what is said is true -- that
the amount of time do determine if a number is prime has been "drastically
reduced" -- this could have grave implications on public/private key
cryptography.  This class of cryptography depends on the fact that the
prime number problem is computationally very difficult; a new method to
find primes could undercut huge amounts of investment in cryptography.

However, the press releases I've seen do not contain any detailed
information on the discovery, nor do they even mention the journal in
which this discovery was (presumably) published.  Does anyone have any
further information?

Some mostly useless press releases on the subject here:
http://www.irna.com/en/head/020809225127.ehe.shtml
http://www.iht.com/articles/67278.html

--Jeremy