[TriLUG] "beep" gone

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 12:32:34 EDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Any ideas here? I went away on vacation, came back, and the system
> "beep" is now silent. Since I tend to keep e-mail on a separate virtual
> screen and wait for an alert, this cramps my style. Any clues what to look
> for?

Since you probably didn't modify any software settings while on vacation,
have you checked that the system beep works at all?  Try this, type "cat"
at a terminal (to echo stdin to stdout).  Press ctrl-G, then enter.  You
should get a beep.

If that doesn't work, does your system normally beep when rebooted?  Try
rebooting, and if it doesn't beep now, check the speaker cable and speaker
itself.  (The system beep usually comes from the internal speaker unless
you've redirected it somehow.)

--Jeremy