[TriLUG] "beep" gone

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Aug 12 13:19:36 EDT 2002

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Andrew Perrin wrote:

> Here's the deal:
>
> - ctrl-G just yields the ^G on the screen, both in an xterm and a console

Just to clarify, when you *type* ctrl-G, it will just show the ^G.  But
when you press enter, and the line is repeated back to the screen, you
should hear the beep (and an apparently blank line will show.)

If the xterm window flashes instead of beeping, this means you have
enabled the "visual bell" (intended for the hearing impaired or anyone who
doesn't like beeping).  But I'm not sure if that can even be done in the
console.

> - System doesn't beep on startup, but I'm not sure it ever did

Do you have a DOS boot disk?  You could try booting to DOS and generating
a beep somehow (maybe a similar trick with ctrl-G?).  This would determine
for sure if it's a Linux issue or hardware issue.  Also check to see if
the beep or speaker has somehow been disabled in your system BIOS.

> - Speaker is physically wired correctly
> - It's possible that I did upgrade, because this sytem automatically does
> an apt-get upgrade nightly via cron.

Can you check the logs and see if any terminal-related packages were
upgraded?  That might provide a hint (check the release notes of any
related packages).

--Jeremy, just brainstorming