[TriLUG] Re: Frustrated MS users turn to Linux, Apple

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Tue Aug 13 12:15:04 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, August 13, 2002, at 06:54  AM, Greg Brown wrote:
> software from MIcrosoft does this rule out Mac laptops?  The other
> question
> is does Microsoft make any money from Apple when a new Mac is sold (for
> the
> IE software)?  If they don't then I suppose I can still purchase the
> Mac and
> immediatly rip out IE as step on - or better yet - contact Apple as ask
> them
> to ship a custom burn of OS X without IE, which I doubt they'll do.

If they don't make any money, it's a moot point.  As you noted, you can
trivially drop IE in the trash.  Under Mac OS X, it's just another
application, not an "integral part of the OS."  If they do, then it
would cost more for Apple to account for shipping one person an IE-free
version of Mac OS X than it would cost them to send Microsoft the
license fee.  Besides, the MS-Apple relationship, AIUI, is a lot more
complicated than a straight-forward 25c license fee per copy of IE
shipped.  My understanding is there's a lot of quid-pro-quo going on
between the two of them.  And it may very well be that Apple is getting
the 25c from MS for distributing it.

While I applaud the attempt to avoid MS products, I would be less picky
in this case.  When your web log entries show you installed OmniWeb,
Mozilla, Netscape, iCab or Opera and use it over the provided IE, that
is stronger statement than trying to get one copy of Mac OS X sans IE.
Further, getting a Macintosh or going all Linux/*BSD denies them any
revenue from OS licensing, and diminishes the value of the SDKs and IDEs
that they sell to third-parties.

jf
--
John Franklin