[TriLUG] don't sweat the M$ issue...

David R. Matusiak matusiak at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 13 12:59:48 EDT 2002

Dear Greg Brown (and those like him) --

it is completely understandable to be flustered with MicroSoft. he**, if you
have worked in any sort of computer admin position for any period of time, you
have had to deal with their lame products, loose security, and domineering
licensure. not to mention the nearly-brainless users and their never-ending "How
do I save this document?" questions. after a while, it builds to a point that
you simply don't want to deal with them anymore.

this happened to me in 1997. earlier for many others.

but there are some valuable things you have to retain focus on during these
frustrating times. life lessons, if you will.

i'm typing this to you from a windows 2000 Dell PII 300 Mhz P.O.S.
i'm using SecureCRT to ssh2 to a server in california from which i do all my
emailing in pine. why am i telling you this? why does it matter?

it matters 'cause the world ain't gonna bend to your will. there are a lot of
people in the world that F*****G HATE microsoft. much, much more than you ever
will. i'm talking about huge masses of people here - many of them techie
decision makers. and how has that effected the computing landscape over the past
decade?

well, if i were some big shot reporter for Network World or PC Week, i would
take this opportunity to GUSH about how linux is clearly taking over the world
and how friggin' fantastic it is. and then i would have to eat my words later
and look like a dork.

instead i'll give you my level best. i would say it hasn't changed the picture
that much. there are still bazillions of win machines out there and it will be a
cold day in hades before that changes. same thing with AOL. they have made these
utterly complex boxes approachable to the knuckle-dragging EveryMan (and the
shopping-obsessed EveryWoman -- just to be fair). and these are the poor souls
who will forever be chained to clunky interfaces, slow transaction times, and
deteriorating service.

but still there will be places/occasions where you have to deal with the beast.
what if i want to check my email from my mom's computer?
what if my work requires me to use an M$ "technology?" (thankfully, it doesn't).
what if i lose my job and the economy blows so bad that i have to do tech
support for 50 Win98 browsing stations?
what if...
  what if...

my point is this - you seemed to be getting quite upset in your "F**K Microsoft
in the A** for 2003" campaign and i wanted to make the suggestion to

          "just let it go............"

do yourself a major big favor and go buy a new macintosh. ANY ONE.
then proceed to wipe the disc (including the botched OS 9) and re-install OSX
cleanly. then whatever apps you might need (yes - including whatever M$ products
you might think you'd use). then start your own "Computing Happily Ever After"
initiative. i would bet you find it to be a much more pleasurable experience.

leave the linux, bsd, etc for the "True Hackers" (read: gluttons for punishment)
and simply get on enjoying your life. and a final point for all of you:

          these "tools" are supposed to be just that. tools. things we use to
          make our lives easier/better. no one ever said that you have to spend
          your whole life compiling kernels or installing patches to use a
          computer. that lifestyle may make you feel l33t, but it will not
          get you laid. it will not improve your golf swing. it will not help
          you understand your fellow man or communicate more effectively.

what do you want a computer for?
what do you intend on using it for?
why worry? why stress?

don't stress. simply, do.

apple is not going to custom-burn you a damn thing. and why are you so special?
'cause you are pissed off? if that is the case then you should be out there
everyday writing a better browser. i proudly use IE 5.14 on Mac OSX, not to
mention the beautiful integration of M$ Office for OSX (much superior to Win
variants). M$ does make some amazing products and i would like to encourage them
to do so. the real problem lies in their weak, insecure OS and their disgusting
market domination. don't blast the entire product line because of their OS.

if you truly can't have these on your machine, then AppleWorks will read/write
all the docs you want (it is slow as heeeeee********). and mozilla or omniweb
should suit you just fine for browsing. there are always replacement options.

lastly, i would like to correct you on your "addiction" comment. forced
compliance is NOT addiction. addiction is an inwardly-guided personal choice,
usually based upon an individuals' weaknesses. being forced by someone with
more power to eat s**t your whole life does not mean you are "addicted to
eating s**t."

like Mike says -- "...be realistic..."
drm
m a h t o o z e e a c k  a t  s p e e k e e z e e  d o t  n e t