[TriLUG] xinitrc questions

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Tue Aug 20 09:00:07 EDT 2002

Welp, I found the problem. For those that want to try this here's the deal:

When in runlevel 3, the 'startx' command looks for .xinitrc in your home
directory. This file is set to 644 and should have the programs listed
(backgrounding) and then your WM.

When in runlevel 5, xdm (or gdm/kdm) look .xsession in your home directory.
This is where I messed up. I had the file (duplicate of .xinitrc btw), BUT
it has to be executable. All I did to fix this problem was chmod 775
.xsession, logout and log back in.

Hope my "duh!" helps someone else.