[TriLUG] Libuser

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Tue Aug 20 14:26:10 EDT 2002

Tanner Lovelace <lovelace at wayfarer.org> writes:
> Jeremy Katz just mentioned to me that apparently the libuser rpm in
> redhat may already contain everything we need. I see that it has an
> ldap backend, so I'll take a look at that later this evening.  You
> might look at it yourself and see if it'll do what you want too.
> (If so, perhaps you could package it for debian. :-)

Hum.

There seems to be virtually no information on it outside of the
package itself, and it looks to not even be in >= 7.1.  While this is
not an intrinsic problem, it suggests that it might be sufficently
coupled to RedHat itself as to make maintaining a package bsed off it
a bit of a pain---it is my experience that when packages have no life
outside of a distribution, they tend to get...idiosyncratic.

(And no, before anyone jumps down my throat, that's not a jibe at
RedHat---I'm sure the people porting apt out of Debian, or who try to
get dpkg running on Solaris, etc. all have just as much pain for the
exact same reason; development of such things is generally very
inward-focussed.)

Still I might look into it.  Thanks for the pointer, and let me know
if it does what you need.  I'll still probably do the scripts, if only
as a learning exercise.

Mike.