[TriLUG] Network file system.

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Fri Aug 23 08:50:49 EDT 2002

Well, depends on what you mean by "safer."

 From what I've read about Coda in my work with high-availability stuff,
it would be considered safer than NFS for the main reason that it's
meant to work on a network where machines come and go.

On the other hand, it is not been around nearly as long as NFS, and may
still have significant bugs. Last I looked, you needed to create a
Coda-specific filesystem, too. You couldn't just export an existing
filesystem to use it.

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/

Intermezzo is an effort to correct these shortcomings in Coda. That also
means it is less mature than Coda (which is less mature than NFS, etc.,
etc.). It is available here: http://www.inter-mezzo.org

And lest you mistake me for an expert, I have no experience with either. :-)

Cheers!
Mark