[TriLUG] Network file system.

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Fri Aug 23 09:20:13 EDT 2002

Comments inline:

Ben Simpson wrote:

>  VPN stuff.  But I don't
>have a vpn router at the moment.  And haven't looked into VPN with linux
>yet.

FreeSWAN is very good and interoperates with W2K (in other words, free
all around). www.freeswan.org

>We tried to set up a network using Win2k.  It works but SMB across the
>internet is SLOOW.

My experience is that NFS (at least) was even slower over my VPN than
Samba. YMMV.

>And the "file sharing" under linux is one of the things that I haven't been
>able to get working as good as Win2k yet.

My approach would be to use the tools native to W2K where possible
(samba). I have not seen good implementations of other network
filesystems on Windows. Been a year or two, however, since I checked.

If I were you, I'd go for the VPN solution first, as that more
accurately addresses the problem you wish to solve.

Cheers,
Mark