[TriLUG] Network file system.

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Aug 23 11:53:55 EDT 2002

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Ben Simpson wrote:

> I think i found the answer.  I looked at AFS and Coda's website and found
> that it uses its own user database.
> I guess I will use Samba because I saw some docs on how to connect it to
> LDAP.

I'm pretty sure that AFS can be configured to use other user databases; I
believe NC State uses Hesiod, for example.  I suspect this, like much of
AFS configuration, is pretty complex.  (NC State and Duke offer
pre-configured software "kits" that simplify adding clients to their
network, since even just adding clients is complex.)

Another great advantage that AFS has over NFS and Samba is Access Control
Lists, which make setting up permissions and groups much easier in a
large-scale environment.

--Jeremy