[TriLUG] OT: long term storage

Mark Turner markt at siteseers.net
Fri Aug 23 11:58:28 EDT 2002

Ryan Wheaton wrote:

>    I'm looking into long term storage / backup solutions and was
>wondering what everyone else was using (and how well it worked), and if
>there was something out there that maybe I hadn't thought of.

Optical will easily outlast tape. Mag media has about 1/5th the
shelflife of CD's or DVD's. Humidity is evil.

DVD's and CD's have faster access times (no rewinding). Also, the
hardware and media are cheaper. I bought a DVD-RAM drive from Intrex
this week for $45. And there's something to be said about just hanging
the disc off a network share and letting your users get whatever they
need without having to bother you to find a tape.

On the other hand, tape does have the advantage of storing far more data.

I say go with DVD-RAM if your data will fit onto the 4-8 gig discs. More
than that, though, and tape is more attractive.

Cheers,
Mark