[TriLUG] DSL connection

Shaw Family shaw89 at pobox.com
Sat Aug 24 08:51:19 EDT 2002

sanjeev rathore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for DSL connection to use it on my linux.  I have AOL DSL
> but it does not seems to be working for me.  Does anybody know any DSL
> provider whose DSL connection works on linux?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sanjeev

Hi Sanjeev,

Yes!  I know Verizon's DSL works fine with Linux.  If you are trying to
use DHCP with your AOL DSL and it isn't working you may want to try
PPPoE instead.  There are several PPPoE setup clients out there
depending on your distribution, here are a few from freshmeat.net:

pppoe - a PPP redirector for Linux
http://freshmeat.net/redir/pppoe/8327/url_homepage/pppoe.html

Kpppoe - KDE client
http://freshmeat.net/redir/kpppoe/21768/url_homepage/Kpppoe

rp-pppoe - PPPoE client and server suite for Linux, NetBSD, Solaris, and
Mac OS X Beta
http://freshmeat.net/redir/rp-pppoe/9094/url_homepage/pppoe

WebDialer - a script to configure and start/stop wvdial, ISDN, or ADSL
connections from a Web browser
http://freshmeat.net/redir/webdialer/11395/url_homepage/webwvdial

Are you wanting to keep AOL service?  I would definitely suggest that if
you don't need the overhead that comes with AOL just get a vanilla
ISP(if such a thing exists anymore!).

Regards,

Mike
shaw89 at pobox.com