[TriLUG] XML/SGML editors

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Aug 24 15:15:45 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 10:20, Mike Mueller wrote:
> I am a vim user and not a terribly sophisticated one at that.  I am venturing
> in to SGML/XML work.  I've uncovered a shortcoming with vim for this type of
> work. When I physically divide a book into chapters, the color highlighting
> of tags does not work in the chapters, but it does work in the main document.

Do the subdocs have an extension that vim might see as being xml? Mosr
importantly, is it a well formed XML document, with a root element (i.e.
does each chapter subdoc start with <chapter> and end with </chapter> )?

I did see some difficulty with the vim color coding when I was using
that as my primary editor for xml/xslt (multi-line comments were not
always handled well), which is why I switched to emacs *grin*

>  I've written to the vim.org list for help an there's been no help
> forthcoming yet.  I am wondering if I should stick with vim or move on to
> something else. I am open to suggestions.

If you like vim, hang with it. I've learned to use and enjoy emacs (OK,
I *LOVE* emacs now), since it handles some of the specialty modes I need
for my programming a little better.

Of course, this is all IMHO. YMMV *grin*

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --