[TriLUG] What to do when KDE freaks out?

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sat Aug 24 22:21:12 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-24 at 21:59, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or to keep from shutting it down
> harshly when it happens? Any insight is much appreciated as always.
> Guess I should also remind you guys I'm running Debian. Don't know what
> other information might be helpful.

My KVM used to do this a LOT when I was switching between a Linux box
and a Windows box. The quick fix, for me, was always to Control-Alt-F1
to get to a console, restart gpm if it was running. Something like this
:

Switch to Linux Box
Control-Alt-F1
(login as root if I needed to)
/sbin/service gpm stop
/sbin/service gpm start
Control-Alt-F7
(back in X, mouse working)

It appears that in some cases, the way Windows tells a mouse to behave
and what Linux expects are different, so you need to re-init the mouse
in order to get it working again. This was most noticeably the case when
I would switch between my Linux-Alpha box and my Windows box (which is
now a single boot Linux box).

In some extreme cases, I'd switch back to windows, and the mouse would
be broken there, too. Solution? switch to an empty/disconnected/off slot
on the KVM, then switch back to Windows....or the mother of all Windows
fixes - reboot.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --