[TriLUG] How do I clear inactive SSH session

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 25 04:04:20 EDT 2002

Definately!

Do a quick man of sshd_config
===
   ClientAliveInterval
        Sets a timeout interval in seconds after which if no data has
        been received from the client, sshd will send a message through
        the encrypted channel to request a response from the client.  The
        default is 0, indicating that these messages will not be sent to
        the client.  This option applies to protocol version 2 only.

   ClientAliveCountMax
        Sets the number of client alive messages (see above) which may be
        sent without sshd receiving any messages back from the client. If
        this threshold is reached while client alive messages are being
        sent, sshd will disconnect the client, terminating the session.
        It is important to note that the use of client alive messages is
        very different from KeepAlive (below). The client alive messages
        are sent through the encrypted channel and therefore will not be
        spoofable. The TCP keepalive option enabled by KeepAlive is
        spoofable. The client alive mechanism is valuable when the client
        or server depend on knowing when a connection has become inac-
        tive.

        The default value is 3. If ClientAliveInterval (above) is set to
        15, and ClientAliveCountMax is left at the default, unresponsive
        ssh clients will be disconnected after approximately 45 seconds.
===