[TriLUG] Gnome apps vs. KDE apps

Matt Matthews jvmatthe at math.duke.edu
Sun Aug 25 21:28:44 EDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 09:10:07PM -0400, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> It seems that a lot of the apps that I've been loading lately say they
> are Gnome-based apps. I can run these under KDE but was wondering if
> they are supposed to run better under Gnome? Am I missing out on
> something - or is it ok to run under KDE if they'll run?

The GNOME apps should run just fine under KDE and vice versa. At work this
seems to be the case. I'm not sure how they'd run any better or worse under
one system than under the other, except for a possible slightly longer load
time if some libs weren't pre-loaded and have to be loaded at the time the app
is run.

At home I run only GNOME, so perhaps there is some serious issue I'm not aware
of that is taken care of behind the scenes at work.

matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ jvmatthe at math.duke.edu  \____________   /\\