[TriLUG] firewall

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 25 05:26:45 EDT 2002

Just a guess, but I've seen it in paranoid mode and it seems to use a
script that needs to know the "Trusted" interface.  It still blocks all
services on every interface (except for the ones that you check to allow).
So even against an internal attack your server is secure.

I guess if you wanted NAT setup for you, it would use that information to
tell it which interface is internal.  It may also setup the other
interfaces to not allow access via spoofed private addresses like
192.168.x.0 or 172.x.0.0 or 10.0.0.0.

If you are worried about the setup, you can always check it out by typing:
  ipchains -L

This will list out all the rules currently installed by the running
ipchains.

If you need help interpreting the output, let us know.

Jon Carnes
===