[TriLUG] Network file system.

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 27 11:26:22 EDT 2002

Message Transfer Authorities like sendmail and postfix (exim, qmail, smail,
etc), are used purely for shuffling mail across the internet from mail
server to mail server.

POP and IMAP are independent of MTA's. Personally I use the University of
Washington's (the default with Redhat and Mandrake).

In the past I've used Qpopper, but UW's is just fine and actually is less
disk intensive that Qpopper.

As for IMAP, you'll find a lot of opinions.  A lot of groups I belong to
have voted on Squirrel mail (but only for installs of less than 500
mailboxes).  Squirrel mail is IMAP and webmail all in one.  For larger
installs, Cyrus seems to be the preferred IMAP installation.  Cyrus is very
scalable and is used by a lot of larger universities and other
organizations.

Jon