[TriLUG] Network file system.

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Aug 28 08:09:44 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 08:40 AM, Ben Simpson wrote:

> Cool thanks for the help.  I probably will ask a few questions.
> Have you set up Samba to work with LDAP?

Yep.

> Does Postfix work with LDAP?

Yep.

> I will take a look at Postfix and try to install it.
> the reason I picked sendmail was just because it seemed to be the most
> popular (going with the idea, if it is popular it is pretty much
> standard)

Popular maybe because it is what comes with most flavors of *NIX.  But
if you ask around, people who really spend time working with their MTA
usually switch to something more manageable like Postfix (there are
other alternatives as well).

> But I am open to other things.  Webmin does a good job of taking some
> of the
> complexity out of it.  Webmin also has a postfix module.  I am curious
> take a look at it.

I wouldn't even bother.  The config files are very human readable, and
well commented so that they are largely self documenting.   Kind of
like Samba.   And also like Samba, some of the advanced features aren't
in the sample config and might require you to do some reading.

> How well does it handle virtual user accounts?   Like
> ben at silextech.com and
> ben at someotherdomain.com  these should be two different users.  Does
> Postfix
> handle that.

It is for TriLUG right now.

> Also is it a drop in replacement for sendmail?

I'm responding to this from a hotel room without a 'net connection,
otherwise I would have gone to Postfix's web site and given you a
direct quote.  That is one of their claims to fame is that it is a
nearly complete drop in replacement for Sendmail (except a lot easier
to configure, and less likely to get you 0wn3d).