Dead batteries... aren't very much fun (was: Re: [TriLUG] UPS Batteries)

Douglas Brown dugbrown at email.unc.edu
Thu Aug 29 12:42:26 EDT 2002

I've had great luck with batteries plus - took a load of dead UPS
batteries over and got new ones fairly inexpensively - watch dimensions
on the new ones, I have a big APC matrix unit w/o a top because of the
size of the new batteries... but it works great.

-doug

"William W. Ward" wrote:

> I don't think they handle disposable batteries (that is to say, batteries
> that are manufacture with the intention of being chucked in the landfill,)
> but they do take nickel cadmium and lithium-ion and nickel metal hydride
> cells.
>
> The link below should take you to their store locator page.  Call them and
> ask, it would seem desirable to recycle all types of batteries if such a
> process were practical.  I know the larger lead-acid cells have been
> recycled for many years, and there is a big campaign by some organization to
> coax people into recycling their consumer electronic battery packs as the
> metals within are more troublesome than the traditional alkaline cells.
> http://www.batteriesplus.com/locator.html
>
> I'm not specifically interested in promoting this store above others, but I
> don't have any experience or knowledge of other vendors in the area - and my
> experiences with this particular vendor have been very good.
>
> Bill

Douglas Brown
Manager of Security Resources
UNC Chapel Hill