[TriLUG] Re: Gentle Reminder

Roberto J Dohnert webwarrior at mac.com
Thu Aug 29 14:25:42 EDT 2002

First of all Brent, your man deserved it.  Treat me with respect and I will treat you with respect, he failed to do so.  He decided he was going to be a jerk so I responded in kind.
Second of all, I in no way used Red Hat symbols or trademarks at All in fact when I talked to your rep the last time he told me that if I did preinstall and distribute retail versions I could not use any Powered by Red Hat stickers on my machines or use Red Hat logos in my promotions,  Which I have not done I will bring a couple of my brochures to the next meeting to show you.  The only thing I say in my brochures is Sold with Linux, the only excerpt that i put in my brochures regarding Red Hat, is versions availabe Red Hat Linux and Open Linux Workstation.

I have no problem with your Linux offerings,  I still do believe that Red Hat Linux is the best distro out there to date.  I meant some of your company reps suck.  If Red Hat had told me that to get support I had to be a registered OEM I would have had no problem with going to another company.  But what did they do.  One told me I could do it like this, then a month later I have another one of your reps screaming at me telling me that its unacceptable and that if I keep it up we are going to sue you, thats where my problem lies I even gave him the name of the rep that told me I could preinstall and distribute retail versions.  Instead of saying okay I will check it out and give you a call back, he tells me that no rep would ever say that. So he was calling me a liar.  If he had gone to talk to the man, and he remebered me, which he would have Im a hard person to forget, all hyper and jumping off walls all the time and cantsit still for 5 minutes. call me back say okay sorry the rep was wrong, hey no problems.  It is called courtesy and being polite.

I have no problems with your prices and your policies at all.  And I have no problem with your product at all.  But you guys need to sit down tell all your reps what the policies are so that you can avoid problems like these to begin with.  If your reps dont know the policies and its apparent some of them dont you will get conflicting stories.  I mean my mother doesnt work for me but she knows my policies for my business in fact she has lined me up two customers that I have to set up on Tuesday, one told her that thay wanted Windows XP and she told them " Sorry my son doesnt do Windows XP ".  So what they are doing is buying the Machine and buying Windows XP and Im going to set up a Dual boot machine for them.  But what if she had told them " Sure no problem " I would have been messed up, its called positive communication.   But with Red Hat, one tells me one thing another tells me another and the dude still couldnt tell me if I could even sell the boxed Retail versions without preinstalling them.  I dont really want an OEM partnership, my original plan is to service all the linux community not just one version.   Mandrakesoft has the same policy as Red Hat and their rep told me that right off the bat so I left with no confusion.  Your reps gave me a headache.