[TriLUG] Re: OEM Policy

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Aug 29 15:06:44 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 11:19, Roberto J Dohnert wrote:
> As I stated before fellas I have no problems with their OEM policy my
> problem is with the way that they handled the situation.  As previously
> stated I would have paid for the service call if I was in the wrong about
> it.  Thats not the problem.  The problem lays when yu have a problem with me
> and if I violated your OEM policy you need to talk to me about it, not my
> customer they know nothing about it.  The second part of my problem is I had
> already been told that that approach was acceptable, that I could buy retail
> versions and preinstall and distribute them with my PCs thats what my
> problems with them are.  I dont care how much their OEM prices are.  If they
> were too steep I would have gone to someone else like I did.  Also Im not
> trying to become known as a Cheap Bytes like one of the other readers
> suggested these were official Red Hat Retail versions from CompUSA that I
> bought for 59.00 a peice.   They need to show just a little bit of
> proffessional courtesy when dealing with people

Hi Roberto,

It sounds like you perhaps confused permission to:

  "preinstall and distribute them [Red Hat distros] with my PCs"

with

  you will receive *FULL SUPPORT* for those pre-installed machines.

I can appreciate the confusion due to the subtle difference.  But as a
businessman, one must carefully read and understand the fine print.  If
the folks at Red Hat didn't specifically (and preferably *in writing*)
say that they would provide certain services, then you have only their
EULA terms.  Thats how contracts work.

And in regards to the "proffessional courtesy" comment, I have a hard
time believing that any of the communications that you received from Red
Hat were as colorful as some of your postings to this list.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311