[TriLUG] from: address? official capacity?

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Aug 29 20:58:03 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 19:15, David A. Cafaro wrote:
> Evolution is part of the Ximian desktop.  www.ximian.com
> Downloading from them can be very difficult to install unless you go
> with there Ximian desktop (oh yeah, ximian is an X app, not command
> line).  Best bet to get a copy of Evolution for your computer would be
> to go to www.rpmfind.net (or your preferred package management, or look
> for the tars) and use one someone else has setup against your distro.

If your distro doesn't include gnome/evolution, then you probably want
Ximian. However, it should be noted that Ximian doesn't play nice with
all distros, and once you start using their package management,
reverting to your prior system is a pain.

(pain as in, if you use Red Hat, you use Ximian Red Carpet, because
up2date will find all kinds of borked depends).

Fortunately, Evolution is, as stated below, included in Red Hat Linux
7.3,  Mandrake 8.x, and AFAIK, Debian GNU/Linux.

Gnome2 is also in the public Red Hat beta (null). Gnome 2 is pretty.
Metacity rocks.

> others).  It's nice, I like it even more than Eudora Pro, it helped make
> the final cut to linux only for me.

Evolutions was one of the "killer apps" that Linux needed, IMHO, to gain
wider acceptance. I had used every GUI mail app I could find, and *NONE*
were as good, IMHO, as Pegasus Mail, Eudora, or, for that matter,
Outlook Express - until Evolution.

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --