LI4B (was: Re: [TriLUG] UPDATE: Red Hat Sucks)

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Fri Aug 30 19:10:44 EDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:01:08AM -0400, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:
> I agree with all the points on the main page except for:
>
> 3) The kernel has one job: to keeping the system up, running and stable,
> not to serve web content - I don't care if it's faster from the kernel.

I have minor problems with this.  Keeping the system up, running, and
stable is not really the job of the kernel anymore than the purpose of
your company is to pay you in full and on time.  Yes, if either fail
these basic criteria they're not long for this world, but it is not
their raison d'etre.

The kernel's job is to manage machine resources and system services.
Memory, storage space, processor time, hardware, I/O on as raw a level
as possible.  NFS is on the edge here.

> Unfortunately his idealology about kernel speed enhancements doesn't
> live up to the expectations of our capatilistic society.

This bugs me more.  Using "its profitable" as justification for
software design is a red flag.  Adding web services into the kernel
impairs the kernel's ability to provide timely service to other apps,
sacrifices memory protection and makes potential security holes that
much more dangerous.

modload ie

jf
--