[TriLUG] Linuxisfor------- [CONTENT WARNING]

William Ward wwward at pobox.com
Sun Sep 1 02:11:06 EDT 2002

Ben,

Your statements ring true.  Our IT management has been threatened by
employees who received offensive mail despite our content filtering
system.  They claim we have a responsibility to provide a workplace
free of harassment and hostility, but do not acknowledge the technical
limitations.  We attempt to provide offense-free mail and Web access,
but we're beat up when we over-filter and under-filter, and maintaining
the medium is expensive (many man hours spent constantly tuning the
system and fishing our false-positives) and generally unsuccessful.

In essence, providing e-mail and Web access to end users may cost the
company more money than the productivity such access provides.

To that end, the e-mail administrators have petitioned management to
create one of two policies:  Either cut off all Web and E-mail services
to the outside world except for a limited number of users who
absolutely must have mail to operate OR draft a contract between the
user and the company that states we provide no content filtering and
that any mail or web content found offensive is the responsibility of
the end user to delete and cope with.

We actually wouldn't mind if we cranked down the gates and made e-mail
and Web access a very exclusive service to a select few in our company.
  Our virus problem would diminish, we wouldn't have mail loops (much)
and so many hours spent focusing on e-mail problems would go away.
Instead we'd focus on internal services.  There's plenty of work to
fill in the time we use supporting Mail.

Obviously our users would scream if we suddenly cut off their AIM,
E-Mail and ESPN.net access, but aren't these the same people looking to
meat-hook us over every "Hot Teens" e-mail they get after they submit
their e-mail address to every web site visited?

On the other hand, I'm not a lawyer (and thus I can get up each morning
with a clear conscience) and I don't know if a signed policy disclaimer
would protect us.  E-mail filtering costs big bucks, both in licensing,
system overhead and administrative overhead.  Like virus protection
software, it is a stupid concept that should never have been required
in the computing realm, wasting resources with NO service gain.  If we
could push out a disclaimer to eliminate our liability, drop our
filtering and push it to the client end (using the junk mail filter
resources of Outlook, for example,) we could then focus on providing
faster, more reliable service rather than acting like cleaning crews.

?  What do your companies do about e-mail liability?  Do you provide
service to each user or limit your liability by limiting your exposure?

Bill

On Saturday, August 31, 2002, at 10:15 PM, Ben Pitzer wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-08-30 at 10:40, Daniel Monjar wrote:
>> if that's your environment I would question going to a site by that
>> name at
>> all.  I would also be looking for a new company.
>>

> <SNIP>
>
> Daniel, I agree with what you're saying, but the unfortunate fact is
> that companies can get (and have been) sued for this sort of thing, if
> they don't create a policy against it.  The fact of the matter is that
<snip> -w-