[TriLUG] email content filtering

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Sep 1 09:33:21 EDT 2002

At my former employer we made it clear to the users that any email
downloaded to a company system or that in some way touches our internal
network is *owned* by the company and that the company can do anything
that it pleases with the downloaded mail.

Mail is not the personal property of the individual if it is received on
a corporate computer.  Also, the corporation is not responsible for the
content of any email that comes from off-site or is sent without prior
approval of the management.

We also gave the users some filtering ability, for which folks were
extremely grateful - quite the opposite of your experience.

I setup SpamAssassin on a Linux Mailserver that front-ended our Exchange
server.  All the mail passed through that server and was checked for
Spam content (and theoretically for viruses as well). I set some global
values that made sense to for the type of mail that we normally received
and we managed to filter out 80% to 90% of the spam.  We caught 99% of
the really offensive stuff.

If your corp needs help setting up something like that (or tweaking the
settings for SpamAssassin) drop a note to the list.  Quite a few of us
have set this up for our organizations.

Best of Luck,

Jon
===