[TriLUG] Ticketing system for Linux?

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Mon Sep 2 13:28:03 EDT 2002

Ben Pitzer [uncleben at mindspring.com] wrote:
> Actually, PostgreSQL fixed this in version 7.2.  They now support
> unlimited length text fields, despite the fact that they are not part of
> the SQL standard.  They did it as a response to that data type's
> inclusion in competing RDBMSes.
>
> See the documentation for more info:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?datatype-character.html

Yes, but support != optimized for.  =)

While I love PostgreSQL, and choose it over MySQL whenever possible, even
upgrading to 7.2 didn't fix our performance issues in RT.  The switch to
MySQL did.  Whatever the reasons, the empirical result is MySQL performs much
better for RT, and it appears that the majority of RT development is done on
MySQL, so it's likely to be better-supported, regardless.

--
Benjamin Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger at befunk.com) http://ranger.befunk.com/
"Flash, don't heckle the supervillian!" -- Green Lantern