[TriLUG] email content filtering

William Ward wwward at pobox.com
Mon Sep 2 13:42:52 EDT 2002

Jon,

I looked at the SpamAssassin website and found some of the technical
detail you may be referring to.  Sounds like the sort of thing we need
to try out at my company, hopefully before Brightmail appears and sucks
up some more capital/expense.

Two questions:
1.  You mention a mail scanner list.  Where could I find archives for
this list, if you don't mind?  I'd like to read through them and see
how much trouble I can get into creating a test box.
2.  You also mentioned a solution for virus scanning?  Is this a Linux
open source product, or a commercial product for Linux?  We're also
using Trend VirusWall for our malicious code filtering, and its a
headache to administer.

To the rest of the list:
I think it'd be great to hear what some of you other mail admins have
done to implement spam/virus filters in your mail handlers to prevent
the end-user folks from popping open each attachment that slides down
the pipe.  My goal is to see what open source/free software solutions I
can use to replace costly and unreliable commercial solutions we
currently use.  In the process maybe I can cut back on the amount of
pointless overhead one of my poor admin peers has to do on a daily
basis.

Thanks,
Bill