[TriLUG] chroot standards?

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 4 01:25:38 EDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Greg Cox wrote:
> I may be asking for the pedants to come out of the woodworks, but:
> "Where's the "right" place to put a chroot environment?"

Depends if you're pedantic. ;-) Generally I place stuff (and have
noticed that Debian tends to recommend/use) /var/run. YMMV.

> I'm working on some things (BIND among them) that are nice and
> chroot'ed off.  I hate making stuff off the root directory, so
> I made /var/chroots to be the placeholder for anything chrooted,
> and then /var/chroots/$PROJECTNAME to be where individual projects
> went.

BIND >=9 chroots beautifully, or should I say, "with fewer
headaches and in fewer steps" than <9.

> /opt and /usr/local didn't seem right.  / didn't seem pretty
> (/tftpboot makes me ill).  One project is using /home/itsuser
> by default, which seems kinda hokey and ew.

/home seems like an interesting idea, and /usr/local (according
to the Debian philosophy) is reserved for local system [admin]
discretion. You're the admin, you choose. ;-)

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc