[TriLUG] chroot standards?

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Sep 4 11:39:26 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 00:11, Greg Cox wrote:
> I may be asking for the pedants to come out of the woodworks, but:
> "Where's the "right" place to put a chroot environment?"

Sometimes I use /var, as this is the standard embraced by OpenBSD.

I don't know of any real standard though.

> Is there a standard/guideline in Linux?  How about in the realm
> of non-penguin systems?  Or is it free for all, in a "chroot'ing
> to a predictable place weakens security" way?

The best you're going to find I think is the FHS at:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/

The chroot manpage doesn't offer any suggestions.

I know a lot of people aren't, but I'm a fan of /opt.  On large scale
implementations I like using /opt or something /opt-like to contain
applications within their own directories (chrooted or not).

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-

Wedding videos $500 - http://yonderway.com/video