[TriLUG] OT: figuring out financial info for switching to Linux

Stephen Schaefer stephen_schaefer27517 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 4 12:49:20 EDT 2002

No one will be able to do the unbiased research
required to measure the retraining and
interoperability costs - if the results weren't to
Microsoft's liking, Microsoft would destroy them.
Think I'm cynical?  Ask any scientist at the EPA about
how industry treats their results.  Global warming?
Needs more research.

Of course, if you want to bias it the other way,
Microsoft's current license lets them charge you
whatever they want whenever they want (NOT just at the
time of "purchase" - the new wording lets them void
your license whenever they release a new version) and
your only recourse is to stop using their software, so
you could project absurd numbers there, as well.  If
you're not familiar with that, I'll look up the exact
wording from the EULA.

    - Stephen