[TriLUG] OT: figuring out financial info for switching to Linux

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Sep 4 13:10:37 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 12:57, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:

> I see your point here :) But I'm not thinking on huge terms as far as
> replacement stuff goes. I was just thinking about simple justification
> for switching from an Exchange server to an open source solution. Stuff
> like that.

How many users am I supporting?
How many servers will I need to support them with Exchange?  Linux?
How much are the client access licenses for the OS?  Exchange?  Linux?
What will the sysadmin cost me?
Training?
How much maintenance will each solution require?

I'm assuming your $client already has Exchange.  You're going to need to
figure in the migration cost and determine how long it will take to pay
for itself based on the maintenance costs of both platforms, as well as
upgrade costs if they were to stick with Exchange.

The Microsoft EULA is just plain obscene.  Anyone who actually reads it
will have trouble sleeping at night if they run an M$ shop.  For anyone
who actually cares about license agreements, the financial differences
between the two can become secondary issues.

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-

Wedding videos $500 - http://yonderway.com/video