[TriLUG] Existing BSD group (was: Re: OT: Mac OS X list?)

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Fri Sep 6 10:38:58 EDT 2002

Actually it is hard for someone who is not me to say what I meant to
post.

I attended most of the early TriBUG meetings.  Meetings subsequent to
that were poorly advertised.  Mention of TriLUG at the early meetings
was met with some hostility, even when the context of this was that
TriLUG was willing to offer resources to help TriBUG get off the
ground.  I'm not speaking for the SC, and indeed I was not even on the
SC when this stuff was going on, but the TriBUG founders have been less
than enthusiastic about TriLUG people participating.  I even heard one
say at a meeting that doing the second thursday of the month would help
ensure that not too many Linux people would attend if they had to choose
between the two (saying this like it was a good thing).

I'm saddened by that sentiment.  There are a number of *BSD enthusiasts
in TriLUG.  TriBUG has chosen for itself to remain a very small social
club.  I hope someday someone with more time, energy & enthusiasm helps
it to become the users group that it could be.

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 10:30, John Franklin wrote:

> On Friday, September 6, 2002, at 09:23  AM, Thunder Bear wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 08:50, Greg Brown wrote:
> > users group in the area but they don't cater to the UNIX-y guys.  There
> > is also an existing BSD group but they only meet when they feel like it
> > and the meetings are just pizza & beer socials.  Not to mention they
> > intentionally meet on the same night as TriLUG.  Hard Cider is being
>
> What Thunder Bear meant to post is that TriBUG normally meets on the
> first Thursday of the month, but moved it to the second Thursday only
> for the July meeting to avoid a conflict with Independence Day.  We
> typically meet for dinner and conversation as we currently number about
> 6 and prefer to keep it light and informal until we build up a bit.
>
> jf
> --
> John Franklin
> franklin at elfie.org