[TriLUG] Earthlink fun

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 6 11:55:42 EDT 2002

I tried out the static IP service from Earthlink DSL yesterday.  I have a
Bellsouth circuit (as opposed to a Covad circuit).  The connection to the
Internet would "fade out" after about 10 minutes meaning I could no longer
ping the Earthlink DNS, browse the web, or get email.  I would also not get
my assigned IP address.

When I called Customer Service I encountered a fellow that wanted me to
update the firmware on my Linksys router.  Then he wanted me to load PPPoE on
Windows 98.  Rather than argue, I hung up and called again and got a
representative that was less agressive in his problem isolation techniques.

So here's a technique for Linux users and router users:  if you don't get
along with an ISP CS rep., simply end the call and start over.  Repeat until
you get someone that is willing to help and knowledgeable.  Lying about using
winows did not work in this case.  I had to 'fess-up about using a router.

The problem was not solved and I eventually terminated the static IP service
and have had a stable dynamic IP connection to the net since then.

Any ideas on what might have been going wrong?

I also found the DSL service is 50/mn and Earthlink over Time-Warner Cable is
42/mn.  Cable service is allegedly better than DSL also.  At first they said
I could not switch because I already had DSL.  I would have to cancel DSL
(service interruption) and then start cable service. Luckily my second phone
line was accepted as the basis for installing the cable service.  So now I
wait for TW to make a service call.

It was a long day with many trips between computers on multiple floors.  At
one point I tripped on the stairs.  I caught myself with the hand that was
holding my Palm Pilot.  <sigh>

--
mueller, mike