[TriLUG] [Fwd: CERT Advisory CA-2002-27 Apache/mod_ssl Worm]

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Sun Sep 15 12:09:18 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-14 at 22:26, Jon Carnes wrote:
> Okay folks, check your Apache webservers running mod_ssl and make sure
> they up-to-date (version greater than 0.9.6d).  There's a new bug in
> town and it breaks into Apache via a vulnerability in mod_ssl.

Also note that version numbers can be misleading.  A lot of vendors
(from what I remember, I'll even hazard to say "most") actually just
backported the patches to what they were shipping instead of bumping up
to 0.9.6d as 0.9.6d is not binary compatible with previous releases of
openssl.  So double-check against your vendor's errata website and make
sure you've got all of the current updates.  Also be sure that you
completely shut down and restart apache.

Cheers,

Jeremy