[TriLUG] modem problem

ray bordt raybordt at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 16 11:11:41 EDT 2002

i am trying to connect to mindspring.com. i bought an external 56k us robotics modem. i am running mandrake 8.1. the configuration 'control center' want 8 values. 'connect-name' i set to mindstring-rtp, 'phone-number' i set to the local number 424-8066, 'logID' i set to raybordt at mindspring.com, 'password' i set to my password, 'authentication' is preset as PAP, 'domain-name' is left blank, 'dns1' and' dns2' are set to 207.069.188.185 and -.-.-.186. when i try to connect, nothing seems to happen. i do not hear the modem trying to dial-out to mindspring. i have also tried one change, 'logID' as raybordt and "domain_name as mindspring.com. still nothing seems to happen. the modem works under MS-98. please help me stop using MS-98. thanks.