[TriLUG] Resizing ext3 partitions

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 17 16:33:46 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 16:25, Chris Knowles wrote:
> Gurus correct if I'm wrong...
>
> Isn't ext3 just ext2 with a journal file stapled on?
>
> You should be able to use an ext2 resize, and then re-establish the ext3
> journal.
>
> tune2fs -j /dev/<device>
>
> That should take an existing ext2 and make it ext3...

If you do this, blow away the journal first. The reason parted only
moves the tail end of the partition is to protect the journal at the
head.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot